- Course Overview FREE PREVIEW
- Welcome! FREE PREVIEW
- About Marc Larochelle / Productive Computing FREE PREVIEW
- How To Use This Course FREE PREVIEW
- Important: Watch this lesson if you are using FileMaker Pro Advanced 17 or Higher
- Developer Environment FREE PREVIEW
- Preparing the Software FREE PREVIEW
- If you are using AWS, Install .NET 3.5
- Installing QuickBooks Premier (version 18) FREE PREVIEW
- Installing QuickBooks Enterprise (version 20) FREE PREVIEW
- Installing FileMaker FREE PREVIEW
- Download, Install, and Register the FM Books Connector FREE PREVIEW
- Connecting to QuickBooks for the First Time
- Setup (More info and Links)
- Working With the Documentation
- How FM Books Works (Lists & Transactions)
- How FM Books Works (Request & Response)
- QuickBooks Schema
- Using the Intuit OSR (Online Screen Reference) - Part 1
- Using the Intuit OSR (Online Screen Reference) - Part 2
- Plug-in Functions
- Scripting to Create, Post and Parse Requests & Responses
- Working with Older Versions of FileMaker
- Additional Info
- QuickBooks Versions and Pricing (Desktop vs Online)
- Getting Around On QuickBooks
- QuickBooks Versions and Pricing Links
- Pushing a Customer (Part 1)
- Pushing a Customer (Part 2)
- Pushing a Customer [Additional Contact Information] (Part 3)
- Pushing a Customer [Additional Contact Information] (Part 4)
- Pushing a Customer as a Job (Part 5)
- QB Enterprise VS QB Premier (things to watch out for)
- Editing a Customer (Part 1)
- Editing a Customer (Part 2)
- Editing a Customer [Additional Contact Info] (Part 3)
- Editing a Customer [Additional Contact Info] (Part 4)
- Deleting a Customer
- Directly "Open" a QB Record from FileMaker
- Recap and Sample FileMaker File
- Developing Directly on a Mac (with the FM Books Plug-in Template)
- Pushing an Invoice (Part 1)
- Pushing an Invoice (Part 2)
- Pushing an Invoice (Part 3)
- Editing an Invoice (Part 1)
- Editing an Invoice (Part 2)
- Delete and Void an Invoice
- Recap and Sample FileMaker File
- Pull Customers (Part 1) [Single customer - pull balance]
- Pull Customers (Part 2) [All customers active status]
- Pull Customers (Part 3) [Date modified by range]
- Pull Customers (Part 4) [StartsWith, EndsWith, Contains]
- Pull Customers (Part 5) [Limit Response Data]
- Pull Customers (Part 6A) [Putting it all together]
- Pull Customers (Part 6B) [Putting it all together]
- Recap and Sample FileMaker File
- Pulling Multiple Transaction Types (Part 1)
- Pulling Multiple Transaction Types (Part 2)
- Integration Strategies
- Sample FileMaker File
- Working with Time Tracking (Part 1)
- Working with Time Tracking (Part 2)
- Working with Time Tracking (Part 3)
- Working with Time Tracking (Part 4)
- Working with Time Tracking (Part 5)
- Working with Multiple QuickBooks Files (Part 1)
- Working with Multiple QuickBooks Files (Part 2)
- Working with Multiple QuickBooks Files (Part 3)
- Working with Multiple QuickBooks Files (Part 4)
- Congratulations for Finishing the Course!
- Productive Computing Products and Services FREE PREVIEW
Great course, Marc is a great teacher who can make a complicated subject easy to digest. Well done and thank you!
Great course, Marc is a great teacher who can make a complicated subject easy to digest. Well done and thank you!Read Less
Do I really need to take this course to learn how to use the FM Books Connector plug-in?
No. In fact, many people have learned how to perform integrations between FileMaker and QuickBooks using the FM Books Connector plug-in just by using our free tools such as the documentation and demo files. However, this course was created to significantly save you time - especially if you've never done anything like this before. This course will track your progress and train you step-by-step, even if this is your first time using a plug-in. There are a great many people who prefer to learn by way of video training versus reading the documentation or reverse engineering demo files. We see this method of training as a growing trend on how people prefer (and now expect) to learn.
I already know how to use the FM Books Connector, why would I be interested in this course?
If you've done several integrations with the FM Books Connector, you may find this course more of a review and less of a revelation. However, there are foundational knowledge points that will be covered and even for the most experienced integrator, there are things to be learned (and better understood) by taking this course.
I just started with FileMaker, will I succeed with this course?
We recommend that you know how to work with relationships and scripts before signing up. There are plenty of courses on-line to learn FileMaker. This course is designed for the intermediate to advanced FileMaker developer, but it's not required that you know anything about plug-ins. If you have never worked on a Windows machine because you've always used a Mac, we have you covered there as well because there are optional lessons included that show you steps to set up a Windows environment. Access to a Windows OS is required for this course.
Do I need to purchase the FM Books Connector plug-in prior to joining this course?
You could take the course using nothing more than a 30-day demo of the FM Books Connector. However, it would be far more convenient to use a fully licensed version of the FM Books connector. Ultimately, any user who plans on doing QuickBooks integration from their own desktop will need a fully licensed version of the plug-in. Note: the demo expires after 30 days and also becomes disabled 2 hours of continuous use. You can reset the hourly clock by quitting FileMaker and getting back in.
Will this course have updates?
The course will be an ever-evolving offering that starts with the basics at first and then later throughout each year, more content will be added. More modules will be identified and discussed (such as Purchase Orders, Sales Receipts, Payments, timers, etc.) Advanced lessons will be made available such as working with inventory, multiple QuickBooks files, pulling records in batches, working directly with QuickBooks reports and accessing custom fields. There will be fresh content quarterly and an area for student/instructor discussions with the hopes to build a "community" for these products where direct communication with the instructors and other students will be encouraged.
Why is this course a yearly subscription instead of a one-time fee for life?
This course will be continuously evolving, updating and improving. Between new versions of FileMaker, QuickBooks, the operations systems, and the FM Books Connector plug-in itself, there are always going to be items to update and refresh. In addition to the updates, we plan to continue to add content and explore additional QuickBooks areas that FileMaker can communicate with by adding modules quarterly. We realize that some will want to keep their subscription renewed every year for the reasons just mentioned, while others may not renew.
If I get stuck while trying to do my own integration for my company or for a customer, will there be free help provided?
Yes and no. All questions will be read by the instructor where a determination will be made if help can be provided immediately (for free) or if the issue involves a much more labor intense answer therefore possibly requiring paid support. In general, help is always available from Productive Computing to answer the simplest question or to go further by providing professional consultation or even assist with the full integration. It has been our experience that it's not unusual for even the most advanced developers to ask for a helping hand every now and again.
This course assumes the following prerequisites:
- You are using windows computer with Windows 7, 8 or 10. (This course uses Server 2016 which is foundationally similar to Windows 10).
- You have a working copy of FileMaker 16 or higher. (If you have a slightly older version of FileMaker, that's fine, but the course will use FileMaker 16).
- Installation of the FM Books Connector Plug-in for QuickBooks desktop.
- You have at least an intermediate knowledge of FileMaker to the point you can create fields, layouts, relationships, portals, calculations, and scripts. Much of this course will have us building files, scripts layouts and such from scratch but those parts where we build FileMaker schema will go by quickly. In other words, this course will not show you how to use FileMaker but rather how to take what you already know about FileMaker and apply that to using the FM Books Connector plug-in and making connections to QuickBooks Desktop. There are many online courses available to learn FileMaker if you need to learn that first.
- You have access to QuickBooks for Desktop in one of the following flavors: QuickBooks Pro, Premier/Accountant, Enterprise 2014 - 2018. The course uses QuickBooks 2018.
- A basic knowledge of QuickBooks and/or accounting is helpful but NOT required to have success with this course. We have chapters set up to show you the basics of QuickBooks - certainly enough to get you started and to do successful integrations. Since every integration will likely be unique, the exact specifications how you'll be making the connections between FileMaker and QuickBooks will be something you and the users will be deciding ahead of time.